Home / Our Story

Our Story

In 1920 Albert Wakeford (1901-1978) came to Fish Hoek on holiday with his parents. He met the elderly couple who owned the local grocery shop at the end of the Main Road (Warwick House today). They offered him a job to assist them in their business and in a short time they asked him if he would run the business for them. Service was much more personal in those days and he would set out on horseback each morning to collect the grocery lists from his customers. In the afternoon the horse would be harnessed to a cart and they would set off to deliver the orders. In 1922 he bought the grocery shop and four years later purchased another two plots further down the road. In 1929 he built a garage on one of the plots, the Triangle Garage, so called because the present circle at the end of the Main Road was then a triangle. Business proved to be good as the number of cars in Cape Town grew rapidly in this period. In 1939 he enlarged the garage onto the second stand so the garage could now offer a car showroom and mechanical servicing as well as selling Petrol and Diesel. This same premises at 138 Main Road is today the site of Wakefords Home Store. 

Kneeling in front Colwynne, directly behind her Michelle Row behind starting with me: Mike, Kudzai, Emmanuel, Lee, Charles, Philemon, Jamie-Lee Back row starting with lady under Springbok flag: Palisa, Sam, Irvan, Munya, Andrew, Grant
Albert Wakefords
Picture in the early 1950’s of the triangle garage with flats above on the second floor

During the war years business was extremely tough with petrol rationing and no new cars to sell. During the early 1940’s he started selling second hand furniture at the garage and realising that as Fish Hoek was growing and there was a big demand for furniture. He converted the garage into shops and so Wakefords Furniture was born as a side line. This was the beginning of the Wakefords Furnishing  business which was first called Fish Hoek Furniture Mart in 1957. 

In 1945 Albert bought the property where Pep Stores is today. He build the entire building himself to house his garage, which became the new premises for the Triangle Garage. This garage went on to be leased to new owners who called it the Fish Hoek Garage.

In 1958 around the time that Albert’s two sons Douglas and Clive took over the business it became known as Wakefords Furnishing Company. The business grew well with appliances as well as furniture.

The advent of television in the mid 1970’s saw a new strong growth into Television and later in the 80’s it was VCR’s , fax machines and DVD machines that sold well alongside the usual household appliances. In the 90’s the current owners and third generation came into the business. Mike Reaper (Doug’s son-in-law) and Grant Wakeford (Doug’s youngest son) joined the business. In early 2000’s Wakefords expanded to a new store in Parklands and later to the Tramways Centre in Diep River. In 2009 both these stores where consolidated into a new mega store in the newly developed New Palms Centre in Retreat. This new venture was hit hard by the economic crash at the time and the business was subsequently reconsolidated back into its home base in Fish Hoek. 

Today, Wakefords Home Store in the modern era has re-invented itself to keep abreast with new shopping trends. Wakefords.Com was developed prior to 2021 but the advent of Covid 19 catapulted the enterprise from an old fashioned “Mom & Pop” Store into the digital shopping era. Wakefords today proudly serves and delivers to customers countrywide via our on-line platform. Our loyal customers and dedicated staff have helped to maintain and grow the company despite turbulent trading times. Keeping all our customers happy is our number one priority. Our caring staff will always go the extra mile and ensure we never lose the “personal touch” that has made Wakefords famous from the first day Albert Wakeford first opened the doors.  

WhatsApp Us